Monday, July 19, 2010

Prayer in your future

Prayer is a request for help or expression of thanks to God or a God.  All prayer should be made with passion and persistence, but most of all with earnest hope and faith. This is obviously easier said than done especially if one hasn't been subject to prayer or hasn't come to know a God.
For over 30 years, I've been a person uncomfortable with praying.   It wasn't practiced in our home and we didn't go to any church.  The prayers I was exposed to were chanted by so-called "jesus freaks" portrayed in the movies or by people in desperate need of salvation due to sin, addiction, or poverty.  I understood the need for prayer most when a loved one turned ill.  However,  I feared if they asked me to pray for them, I would do it wrong and the "right" result wouldn't occur.   Obviously my fears were brought on by ignorance and not knowing GOD.  I am proud to say I know GOD now.   But I am still learning how to pray. 



Pastor Chuck Booher, of Crossroads Christian Church,  broke down the elements of the Lords Prayer in a sermon on June 6th, 2010..  (Listen to sermon titled "Authentic Prayer") The Lords Prayer is considered to be a guide on how pray as written in Matthew 6:9, "so when you pray, you should pray like this:


'Our Father who is in Heaven, Hallowed be thy name
(be intimate with him, may his name always be kept holy, show respect)
Thy kingdom come, thy will be done on earth as it is in Heaven. 

(You are living by HIS will and have genuine concern for him, more than for yourself)
Give us this day our daily bread
(Ask for what you want.  What do you want?  If you don't ask, you will not receive)
And forgive us our debts as we forgive those who trespass against us
(If you haven't forgiven others (tainted heart) he will not forgive you.)
And lead us not into temptation but deliver us from evil.
(Help us to stay strong against  the powers that cause us to lose faith.)
For thine is the Kingdom and the Power and the Glory. Forever and ever.'

Amen.
You can use the elements of the Lord's Prayer to make your prayer more personal.   For instance, as I am driving To A Heaven On Earth (aka Tahoe) I say the following prayer to HIM using the elements above.


Dear Father,
I am in awe of the beauty of this planet you've created for us.
I pray this vacation refreshes our spirits so we may better serve You and those around us.  

Please keep us safe from harm as we travel and our home and animals protected while we are away.
Give us the strength to spend within our means and not get tempted by greed when gambling.
With my whole heart I pray, grateful for your love.  In Jesus's name.  

Amen.

It is my goal to become so comfortable when talking to God, I can do it in front of strangers and close friends to provide comfort and support.   To thank him for my gifts as well as to gain the strength to overcome my fears for a greater good.  So this month's 30daysof...topic is prayer.  Here are ways you can add prayer to your life over the next 30 days.

1.  Get the book, MY PRAYER BOOK (pictured left) and recite the daily verses already written.

2. Give thanks before your meals - out loud with your family and friends and to yourself when alone.

3. Memorize the Lords Prayer and the 10 commandments. LIVE THEM today.

4. Write a list down of what you want.  (I mean really want). Get to know God then pray with Passion and be Persistent.

Whether or not your prayers are answered, you will feel a peace within that allows you to better understand yourself, connect more with others and most importantly, connect with GOD.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!