Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Scotch Eggs - a science project of planet earth

Science projects can be fun...especially when cooking is involved.  My daughter chose to do a science project on the layers of the earth.  Her hypothesis: I believe the earth will implode if one of it layers is destroyed.  She used the reference of a scotch egg in her paper.  I asked her, what is a scotch egg?  (Thinking scotch was referring to alcohol or she misspelled scotch for scottish?  Both of my assumptions were wrong - and I learned it is a popular dish served originating in the UK.
So for her presentation we were inspired to make scotch eggs to represent the earth and her layers.  After they were formed I held one and sang, I got the whole world in my hands, I got the whole world in my hands.
Here is how we made them:

Ingredients
5 hard boiled eggs (use Rachel Ray's method for the perfect hard boiled egg.  It totally works!)
1 tube of Jimmy Dean Sausage
1 raw egg
1 cup of flour
2 cups of Italian Bread Crumbs
5 cups of oil (i used vegetable)

How to make
Roll out the raw sausage on a floured surfaced.  Cut out large squares and wrap the egg with the sausage leaving no holes.  Beat a raw egg and brush the egg mixture over the sausage coating it entirely.  Coat the entire ball with the Bread Crumbs.  
Place in the hot oil and deep fry for at least 7 minutes (to get the sausage completely cooked.)
One way to know if the oil is hot enough is to fry a piece of bread for 1 minute.  If it turns golden brown, the oil is hot enough.

I honestly don't know if they tasted good but I had quite a few fb comments about them. 

To see some other bite-sized goodies from the 30daysof...blog see this post.  And don't forget to become a fan on facebook to participate in our fun contests.


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!