Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Kick your habits into A Million Little Pieces

I just finished reading A Million Little Pieces by James Frey and it has inspired me more than ever to kick my bad habits and follow through with resolutions.
A Million Little Pieces is a story of James and his life as a drug and alcohol addict. I was shocked to learn this topic would interest me as usually I've been judgmental with regard to people and their "weakness" to substance abuse. Especially if they came from a good loving family such as James.
I was praying he would get through and "hold on" (page 194)
I was hoping he wouldn't blame others for his mistakes and bad habits (page 291)
I was clenching my fist hoping he could fight the fury inside of him (page 303) every time it arose.
This book awakened me to accept that addiction is a disease and many people don't receive the support or tools to fight it. His story provides insight to the reasons addicts appear cold-hearted, and selfish. It confirms that every child needs food, shelter, and a sense of safety and comfort during the first three years of life. (Christian Grey didn't receive this either and look how he turned out.)
It also references one of my favorite prayers - The Serenity Prayer
GOD GRANT ME THE SERENITY TO ACCEPT THE THINGS I CANNOT CHANGE
THE COURAGE TO CHANGE THE THINGS I CAN
AND THE WISDOM TO KNOW THE DIFFERENCE.
Even though we all feel alone (page 80) and throughout life feel depressed (page 148) all we can do is our best. Be smart, be strong, be proud, live honorably and with dignity, and just hold on.
If James can do it, then so can I.

What are some habits you want to break? Read this book and it will give you the power to overcome the bad habits you choose.

Tatata


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!