Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Resolution New You #26 - Wash away the process of aging



There are so many theories and opinions on whether or not makeup left on your skin overnight causes us to age.  Have you heard the one stating, for every night you go to bed with your makeup on, you are aging yourself one day?   So I did the calculation.  I figured if I didn't remove my makeup just once during the week, since the age of 16-years-old, I have already added 3 years to my looks.  (Aaagh - I am screaming because I know once a week is being very conservative.)
In doing research for this blog on what is best, I honestly couldn't find hard facts to prove it one way or the other.  In fact, many opinions stated that washing your face too much will remove the precious oils that we need in our skin.  

The scientific reasons we age are listed below:
Collagen production slowing (collagen contributes to skin's firmness)
Elastin production decreases (elastin contributes to skin's elasticity) 
Fat cells begin to disappear (which can lead to sagging skin)
Your skin losing its ability to retain moisture
Frown lines and "crow's feet" appearing due to small muscle contractions
Dead skin cells not being shed as quickly
Slightly less turnover of new skin cells

In other words - GENETICS is the main key to how we age.  But, even though I believe in the science of skin, my proof is how I feel in the morning when I wake up without makeup on my face. I feel better and more beautiful.  So that is resolution enough for me to wash my face every night.  
Now my problem is: what is the best cleanser?
  



0 comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for sharing!